Guidelines for use of Account Code 8045 - Interdepartmental Support
Account code 8045 “Interdepartmental Support” may only be used to record, via Journal Voucher, small, unbudgeted “transfers” between indexes in different Banner Programs or different Campuses. Included in this allowable usage is the correction of prior fiscal year transactions, provided all other criteria for usage is met. Further guidelines for usage of this account code follow below. ANY deviations from these guidelines will cause the transaction to be disapproved.
Please Note: Departments that are NOT Internal Service Centers or Auxiliaries should use account code 0699-Miscellaneous Services to bill for their immaterial, infrequent sales to other departments; 8045 MAY NOT be used for this purpose.
As always, in cases where one department is passing exact, identifiable costs on to another department, they should credit their index using the account code to which the original charge was posted, and “bill” the other department’s index using the same account code. (Also see Instructions for Correcting Prior Year Transactions) The amount being passed on MAY NOT include any markup.
Account Code 8045 Usage Guidelines:
- Small, Unbudgeted Transfers Only. The transaction MUST cross Programs or Campuses. Transactions providing “interdepartmental support” between indexes in the same Program and Campus MUST be processed as an Allocation. See Adjustments, Transfers, and Allocations for additional information.
- $5,000 Limit per Transaction. “Small” is defined as not greater than $5,000. This means the debits cannot exceed $5,000, and the credits cannot exceed $5,000. (Document or “Hash” total cannot exceed $10,000). NOTE: A large dollar transfer (in excess of $5,000) CANNOT be broken into several transactions of less than $5,000 in order to use account code 8045 (All transactions of this nature greater than $5,000 MUST be budgeted, and submitted to the Budget Office as a Transfer entry).
- $20,000 Limit per Fiscal Year. There is a limit of $20,000 of credits posting to account code 8045, per index, per fiscal year.
- 8045 is the Journal Voucher DR & CR. Account code 8045 MUST be the debit AND credit side of any journal entry in which it is used.
- Journal Voucher Use Only. Account code 8045 CANNOT be used on purchase requisitions in LoboMart, or Chrome River Reports/PCard reconciliations.
- Other Account Code Use Prohibited. Journal Voucher line items affecting any other account codes may not be used in a JV in which account code 8045 is used.
- Detailed Description Required. A detailed description of the transaction must be provided in the JV Document Text.
- VP Approval for I&G Indexes. Transactions using Account code 8045 in which the Debit is to an Instructional & General (I&G) index MUST have information in the Document Text indicating that the entry has approval from the cognizant Vice-President. Please note that this does not apply to “self-supporting” I&G indexes.
- Restricted Index Use Prohibited. Account code 8045 CANNOT be used in ANY transaction that affects a restricted (Contract and Grant) index.
- Salary Movement Prohibited. Salaries of UNM employees CANNOT be moved using account code 8045 JV's. All Labor Redistributions MUST be initiated via the approved process for labor redistributions.
- Budgeting Prohibited. Departments expecting to have credits to account code 8045 MAY NOT budget this expected “revenue”, and MAY NOT budget the expected expenditures that they will make as a result of this “revenue.”
- No Banner Tax. Please note that account code 8045 is not subject to Banner Tax.
Please contact the appropriate Central Accounting office (Unrestricted Accounting or Contracts & Grants) if you have any questions about whether it is appropriate to use account code 8045.