• >Home
  • >Petty Cash
  • >General Information

Petty Cash General Information

UNM Policy related to Petty Cash

 General Information for processing Petty Cash reimbursements

The Petty Cash reimbursement process is only available to those departments that have received approval for, and obtained an actual Petty Cash fund.  Petty Cash funds are only allowed in certain, specific situations.  If your department does not qualify to obtain a Petty Cash fund, then all small purchases that might previously have been allowed via the petty cash reimbursement process should be made via p-card, or reimbursement via the DPEZ process, as applicable.

Petty Cash forms are like cash, and misuse can cause financial loss for your department and the University.  For your safety, Unrestricted Accounting – Main requires the following when processing Petty Cash:

  • Petty Cash reimbursements MUST be hand-delivered to Unrestricted Accounting – Main; it is not safe to send these through campus mail.
  • Petty Cash reimbursements MAY NOT be left in Unrestricted Accounting – Main.  We ask that you arrange for the person delivering the form(s) to wait while it is reviewed and approved.  We do not have secure storage to hold these approved forms.

The Cashier's office is now located in the first floor lobby of the UNM Business Center.  It is open from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday thru Friday.  Unrestricted Accounting - Main will review Petty Cash reimbursement requests on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 1:30 pm to 4:30 pm. The North Campus Cashier’s window is closed.

Accessing the Petty Cash reimbursement form requires logging in with your Net ID and password.  We recommend that you complete and print out your reimbursement requests online only as needed.  It is not a good idea to print out blank forms and have these accessible for possible misuse.

Click here for information on what is and is not allowable on Petty Cash.
Click on a link below to access a form:

Petty Cash form

Petty Cash Advance form

Petty Cash Justification form

Petty Cash Receipt form

Petty Cash Reconciliation form